CMS is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications and employment inquiries, please note that we can only accept applications for posted positions and internships.
Editorial and Production Assistant
The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS), an educational institute and think-tank devoted to the study of international migration, seeks to hire an editorial and production assistant. The position will report to CMS’s Director of Communications.
The editorial and production assistant will manage all administrative processes related to the publication of CMS’s signature publications, the International Migration Review (IMR) and the Journal on Migration and Human Security (JMHS). Among other areas of responsibility, s/he will:
- Oversee the logistical and administrative aspects of the submission, peer-evaluation and publication of articles;
- Proofread galleys and perform copy and technical edits for all publications;
- Typeset and layout reports and JMHS articles in Adobe InDesign;
- Coordinate the publication of regular IMR and JMHS issues, special collections and print editions;
- Support and interface with CMS staff, editors, editorial boards, publishers, authors and peer-reviewers;
- Organize editorial and publisher meetings;
- Summarize research and articles for CMS’s website and other purposes;
- Maintain, update and expand mailing lists;
- Engage in publicity and marketing of CMS publications, including maintenance of IMR and JMHS social media accounts and co-development of marketing plans with publishers;
- Produce and edit CMS multimedia projects;
- Develop and design marketing materials, fact-sheets, infographics, and summaries; and
- Assume other responsibilities and tasks assigned by the Executive Director and Director of Communications.
- Strong editing skills;
- Close attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow through on issues in a timely manner;
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual writing and citation style;
- Experience with desktop publishing;
- Experience with video and audio production;
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Premiere Pro) highly preferred;
- Academic background and/or professional experience in migration; and,
- A relevant degree (graduate degree preferred).
This is a starting level, full-time position with opportunities for advancement. This position is based in New York City. Candidates should submit a letter of interest with salary requirements, as well as a resume/CV and original writing sample, to Daniela Alulema at email@example.com by October 28, 2016. The resume/CV should include a summary of past and current research projects, publications, education and employment.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. No calls please. Due to the high volume of applications, CMS cannot return phone calls about the position, and regrettably, cannot notify all applicants of the status of their applications unless an interview is requested.