SCALABRINIANS COLLECTION ON RHODE ISLAND CHURCHES, 1891-1977
Credit: Center for Migration Studies of New York

SCALABRINIANS COLLECTION ON RHODE ISLAND CHURCHES, 1891-1977

Note: A box and folder list is available in the repository.

The Scalabrini Fathers, a missionary order for the Italian immigrants, began their pastoral activity in Rhode Island as far back as 1889, when Bishop Harkins of Providence invited them to conduct a mission for the Italians of the area. Churches represented in the collection are: St. Rocco in Thornton; St. Ann in Providence; Holy Cross in Providence; Our Lady of Loreto in East Providence; Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Bristol; St. Anthony in Woonsocket; Holy Angels in Barrington; St. Anthony in North Providence; and St. Mary in Cranston. The records consist of a history of each parish, illustrated diamond jubilee books, parish bulletins, correspondence between pastors, souvenirs journals, magazines, newspapers, albums with clippings, photographs, and short biographies of pastors.

Note: A box and folder list is available in the repository.

Collection Title Scalabrinians Collection on Rhode Island Churches, 1891-1977
Call Number CMS 029
Extent 2.5 linear feet in 5 manuscript boxes