CMS 062 documents activities at the Italian-American Roman Catholic parish of Sacred Heart in the North End of Boston from the foundation of the parish in 1889 until the 1970s.
CMS 096 documents research into Father Angelo Bartolomeo Chiariglione, c.s., a priest whose mission to small communities of Italian laborers scattered in the Deep South of the United States meant little documentation on him accrued in any one place. This collection consists primarily of photocopies of documents from the various places where Father Chiariglione lived, documenting his whereabouts at particular points in time and thus contributing to a more complete biography.
Via correspondence, musical compositions, notebooks, personal papers and photographs, CMS 071 documents the life of the Rev. William Pizzoglio, c.s.. The collection ranges from the 1910s when he was a seminarian in Italy receiving letters from his widowed mother in Brazil to his death in 1973.
CMS 048 documents activities in the Italian-American Roman Catholic parish of Our Lady of Pompei, located in the coal-company town of Monongah, West Virginia, between the years 1899, when missionaries from what is now the Society of Saint Charles-Scalabrinians, a congregation of male religious founded to minister to migrants, arrived in the area, to 1926, when the missionaries left. Documents include correspondence.
In 1889, Reverend Luigi Paroli P.S.S.C. established the Holy Ghost Church to accommodate the growing number of Italian immigrants living in the Federal Hill area of the city. The collection is made up of photographs of Parenti’s early life in Italy and the congregation, as well as clippings, souvenir journals, financial records, correspondence, parish histories, and a unique compendium of religious feasts celebrated at Holy Ghost.
This collection contains the general correspondence files accumulated by the Washington headquarters of the National Catholic Welfare Conference (NCWC) from 1920-1970.
The materials document certain special missions undertaken by the two agencies on behalf of displaced priests, scholars, and orphans, the latter being of particular concern to the Committee for Catholic Refugees.
The bulk of this collection consists of bound volumes of the parish bulletin, called La Campana di Silver Lake, from 1923-1956 and 1976. Also included are jubilee booklets, photographs, some early correspondence, and financial reports, as well as a history written from 1969.
The collection is made up of correspondence with ecclesiastical figures and departments dealing with Italian immigrants, annual reports with photographs of immigrants and personal accounts of immigrant families, financial reports, newspaper clippings, case histories of immigrants with photographs and illustrations, and other materials.
This collection is made up of two distinct groups of materials: those related directly to the work of the National Catholic Welfare Conference from 1920-1968 and those representing the work of Michael Wenk, a staff member of the USCC from 1969-1973.