Il Crociato began publishing in 1933 as an Italian language Catholic newspapers by the Italian clergy of the Diocese of Brooklyn. Monsignor Ciocia was the director and its managing editor for three decades was Carlo De Biasi. The highest weekly circulation was achieved during the 1945 when some 13,250 copies were distributed to the various Italian parishes, hospitals, clubs, and to the Italian prisoners of war. The paper was assisted in its perennial financial crises by the Catholic Crusader, an Italian Catholic lay organization. However, due to ever mounting costs, Il Crociato ceased publication in 1973. The collection contains reports, souvenir journals, correspondence, minutes, financial reports from 1933-1969, first through ninth annual dinner souvenir programs of the Catholic Crusaders, and correspondence regarding the Italian American poet Giuseppe Toscano.