L’Italiano in America Financial Records (CMS 020)
July 14, 2016
L’Italiano in America was an Italian language Catholic newspaper launched in New York in 1894. At the time of its inception, the newspaper was backed morally and financially by the Diocesan Council for Italian Affairs.
Between 1916 and 1920, the newspaper was located at 81 Centre Street and operated under the direction of editor in chief Mario De Biasi and treasurer Reverend Antonio Demo. During this period, the newspaper was referred as “the largest Italian Catholic newspaper in the United States.” Despite a circulation of 5,200 in 1917, the newspaper was plagued by constant financial deficits. This small collection consists of weekly salary statements, records of receipts, and disbursements, and some correspondence documenting the business aspect of the publication process.