The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS), a non-profit educational institute and think-tank devoted to the study of international migration, seeks to hire a full-time communications manager. The communications manager will lead the organization’s communications strategy, digital communications, outreach, and multimedia and design projects, as detailed below.
Create and execute a strategic communications plan
- Create an annual plan and implement that plan throughout the year.
- Synthesize quarterly analytic reports with metrics to monitor reach, engagement, and retention.
- Help develop communications themes for resource development purposes.
- Manage communications projects, including the completion of CMS’s website redesign.
Lead the organization’s digital communications
- Manage, update and serve as the webmaster of the CMS website.
- Plan and coordinate regular postings across all social media channels – Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and three Twitter accounts (@CMSnewyork, @JMHSjournal, and @IMRjournal).
- Send messages to and expand CMS’s email list in Mailchimp.
- Edit and distribute CMS’s weekly newsletter.
- Send notices of new articles and issues published in its two journals.
- Share event registration information and other announcements.
Support the organization’s efforts to expand its reach
- Coordinate press relationships.
- Expand email subscribers, social media followers, website users, and event attendees.
Lead the organization’s multimedia work
- Maintain and oversee all photography, video, and audio recordings.
- Conceptualize, produce, edit, and post multimedia projects.
- Maintain and, as necessary, update the CMS logo, brand, graphics, and multimedia guidelines.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or training, preferably in a communications-related field.
- 3-5 years of related professional experience preferably in a nonprofit context.
- Excellent oral, public speaking, and written communications skills.
- Ability to translate complex ideas and data into digestible, accessible, and compelling language for online platforms.
- Proficiency in an open-source content management system (WordPress).
- Understanding of Google Analytics and metrics reporting.
- Proficiency in Mailchimp, Cision, and contact database systems.
- Expertise in graphic design, photo-editing, and / or video production is desirable, especially in InDesign, Premier Pro, Photoshop, and/or Canva.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Superb organizational skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work self-sufficiently, to direct projects, and to problem solve.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and G Suite.
- Knowledge of strategic communications and engagement strategies.
- Knowledge of immigration policy and / or issues facing immigrant communities.
- Knowledge of Spanish, French, or other language other than English is a strong advantage.
- Interest in and a commitment to CMS’s mission
The annual salary for this exempt position is $70,000 – $75,000, commensurate with experience. CMS offers excellent benefits, including a generous health insurance plan, employer-paid dental and vision coverage, and a tax-deferred annuity plan.
The position is full-time and based in New York City. Please submit a resume, cover letter indicating your availability and salary requirements, and a short writing sample (media-related writing sample preferred) to Jacquelyn Pavilon, CMS Deputy Director, at [email protected] Please include “Communications Manager” in the subject line.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled and applications are accepted immediately. Due to the volume of applications, CMS cannot return phone calls about the position, and regrettably, cannot notify all applicants of the status of their applications unless an interview is requested.