The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS) seeks to hire a full-time staff person to work directly with CMS’s Executive Director on reports, publications, and projects. In this capacity, the position will help to staff project advisory groups, conduct research, and write reports. The position will also coordinate work on its publications, running the gamut from assistance to the editors of CMS’s peer-reviewed journals; to overseeing the production process for its journals; to editing, cite-checking and designing its reports.
The candidate should have very strong writing, editing and research skills, interest and experience in publishing, and knowledge of immigration and refugee protection issues. The ideal candidate should also have a legal background and be proficient in Spanish (preferred). Other qualifications include:
- A self-starter
- Close attention to detail;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow through on issues in a timely manner;
- Interested in advancing CMS’s mission;
- A relevant degree (graduate degree preferred);
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual writing and citation style;
- Experience with video and audio production a plus;
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Premiere Pro) highly preferred.
The editorial and research professional position will manage all administrative processes related to the publication of CMS’s signature publications, the International Migration Review (IMR) and the Journal on Migration and Human Security (JMHS). Among other areas of responsibility, s/he will:
- Oversee the logistical and administrative aspects of the submission, peer-evaluation and publication of articles;
- Proofread galleys and perform copy and technical edits for all publications;
- Typeset and layout reports in Adobe InDesign;
- Coordinate the publication of regular IMR and JMHS issues, special collections and print editions;
- Support and interface with CMS staff, editors, editorial boards, publishers, authors and peer-reviewers;
- Organize editorial and publisher meetings;
- Summarize research and articles for CMS’s website and other purposes;
- Maintain, update and expand mailing lists;
- Engage in publicity and marketing of CMS publications, including maintenance of IMR and JMHS social media accounts and co-development of marketing plans with publishers;
- Assist with production of CMS multimedia projects, including podcasts and videos;
- Develop and design marketing materials, fact-sheets, infographics, and summaries; and,
- Assume other responsibilities and tasks assigned by the Executive Director.
The annual salary for this position is $60,000 – $65,000, commensurate with experience. CMS offers excellent benefits, including a generous health insurance plan, employer-paid dental and vision coverage, and a tax-deferred annuity plan. This position is based in New York City. Candidates should submit a letter of interest, as well as a resume and original writing sample, to Daniela Alulema at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 14, 2020 (extended deadline). Please include “Editorial and Research Professional” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled and applications are accepted immediately.
CMS is an educational institute and think tank devoted to the study of international migration and refugee protection.
No calls please. Due to the volume of applications, CMS cannot return phone calls about the position, and regrettably, cannot notify all applicants of the status of their applications unless an interview is requested.