2020 Catholic Immigrant Integration Initiative
October 01, 2020 09:00 AM (Eastern Time (GMT-4))
October 02, 2020 06:00 PM (Eastern Time (GMT-4))
Videos of the conference proceedings are now available. To watch, click the MULTIMEDIA tab below or visit CMS’s YouTube Channel.
The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS) and the University of Notre Dame hosted the 2020 Catholic Immigrant Integration Initiative Conference on Thursday, October 1 and Friday, October 2, 2020. This annual event is part of CMS’s Catholic Immigrant Integration Initiative (CIII) which seeks to understand, expand and strengthen the work of Catholic institutions with immigrant communities. The conference:
- Presented perspectives on the major challenges facing immigrants, refugees, their families and faith communities, at a time of multiple crises;
- Explored promising and successful programs and ministries with immigrants in parishes, legal services programs, elementary schools, universities, the workplace, charities, community organizing entities, hospitals, and other institutions;
- Examined how changing national and international immigration and refugee policies are affecting Catholic institutions, their members and those they serve;
- Explored how Catholic institutions can strengthen their work in promoting the integration, protection, and empowerment of persons with strong roots in sending and receiving communities;
- Featured an annual address – named after CMS’s co-founder, Fr. Lydio Tomasi, c.s. – on the theological vision underlying the work of Catholic institutions with immigrants and refugees; and,
- Featured local migrant programs and ministries in the University of Notre Dame regional area.