The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS), an educational institute and think tank devoted to the study of international migration, seeks to hire a full-time finance and administrative coordinator. The position will work closely with CMS’s Director of Programs to manage all aspects of CMS’s accounting, finances, human resources, grant management, and office management.
Among other areas of responsibilities, the finance and administrative coordinator will:
- Perform daily accounting tasks: Process accounts payable and accounts receivable, including timely invoice payment, reimbursements, deposits and electronic income.
- Reconcile bank, petty cash and credit card accounts on a monthly basis.
- Maintain general ledger.
- Create annual organizational budget in collaboration with the Executive Director and Director of Programs and monitor budget execution and management.
- Prepare payroll and assist with benefits administration processes for staff.
- Produce monthly financial statements, including statement of activity, statement of financial position, cash flow report, and grant expenditure reports, and organize monthly meetings with the ED and Director of Programs.
- Provide oversight and maintenance of organization’s 403(b) plan, including preparation and submission of form 5500.
- Coordinate with the payroll processor to issue accurate and timely W-2 and 1099 forms.
- Coordinate all audit activities, including serving as the organization’s lead on the annual audit and preparing financial documents for audit, form 990 and CHAR500.
- Maintain and retain financial records for compliance, recordkeeping, and archiving.
- Present year-to-date and annual financial statements to the board of trustees, as requested.
- Maintain grant tracking reports coordinate necessary documentation for submittal of reports to funders.
- Ensure the strict adherence to internal accounting controls and procedures.
- Under the ED’s direction, coordinate the work of the board of trustees, including working with the ED to produce, compile, and disseminate meeting agendas and materials and ensuring proper follow-up on proposals and directives by the board.
- Support, administer, file and track vendor and consultant contracts and relationships.
- Assist with recruitment, employee onboarding, offboarding, annual reviews, and maintain HR records.
- Work closely with Director of Programs to evaluate, implement and improve systems integration and processes.
- Coordinate office operations: Order supplies, troubleshoot general office systems and facilities services, and monitor equipment.
- Assume additional duties as agreed to with the Executive Director and Director of Programs.
The candidate should have high levels of attention to detail and accuracy and excellent administrative and organizational skills. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit accounting and/or finance. Strong skills with QuickBooks and MS Excel required.
- Demonstrated analytical skills.
- Experience in human resources (payroll, employee benefits, performance management, and onboarding) is preferred.
- Must be able to work independently and meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively in a growth-driven environment and to communicate well with colleagues, vendors, and constituents a must.
- A genuine interest in and commitment to CMS’s mission.
The annual salary for this position is $60,000 – $65,000, commensurate with experience. CMS offers excellent benefits, including a generous health insurance plan, dental and vision coverage, and a tax-deferred annuity plan.
The position is full-time and based in New York City. However, some telecommuting is allowed during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please submit a letter of interest by December 10, 2021 with a resume to Daniela Alulema, CMS’s Director of Programs, at [email protected]. Please also indicate your availability to start the position.
The position is open until filled and applications are accepted immediately. Due to the high volume of applications, CMS cannot return phone calls about the position, and regrettably, cannot notify all applicants of the status of their applications unless an interview is requested.