The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS), an educational institute and think-tank devoted to the study of international migration, seeks to hire an editorial and production assistant. The position will report to CMS’s Executive Director.
The editorial and production assistant will manage all administrative processes related to the publication of CMS’s signature publications, the International Migration Review (IMR) and the Journal on Migration and Human Security (JMHS). Among other areas of responsibility, s/he will:
- Oversee the logistical and administrative aspects of the submission, peer-evaluation and publication of articles;
- Proofread galleys and perform copy and technical edits for all publications;
- Typeset and layout reports in Adobe InDesign;
- Coordinate the publication of regular IMR and JMHS issues, special collections and print editions;
- Support and interface with CMS staff, editors, editorial boards, publishers, authors and peer-reviewers;
- Organize editorial and publisher meetings;
- Summarize research and articles for CMS’s website and other purposes;
- Maintain, update and expand mailing lists;
- Engage in publicity and marketing of CMS publications, including maintenance of IMR and JMHS social media accounts and co-development of marketing plans with publishers;
- Assist with production of CMS multimedia projects, including podcasts and videos;
- Develop and design marketing materials, fact-sheets, infographics, and summaries; and,
- Assume other responsibilities and tasks assigned by the Executive Director.
- Strong editing skills;
- Close attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow through on issues in a timely manner;
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual writing and citation style;
- Experience with desktop publishing;
- Experience with video and audio production a plus;
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Premiere Pro) highly preferred;
- Academic background and/or professional experience in migration;
- Interested in advancing CMS’s mission; and,
- A relevant degree (graduate degree preferred).
This is a starting level, full-time position. The annual salary for this position is $40,000 – $47,500, commensurate with experience. CMS offers excellent benefits, including a generous health insurance plan, employer-paid dental and vision coverage, and a tax-deferred annuity plan. This position is based in New York City. Candidates should submit a letter of interest, as well as a resume and original writing sample, to Daniela Alulema at email@example.com by August 23, 2019. Please include “Editorial and Production Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled and applications are accepted immediately.
No calls please. Due to the volume of applications, CMS cannot return phone calls about the position, and regrettably, cannot notify all applicants of the status of their applications unless an interview is requested.