Resource Development Officer
April 26, 2022
The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS), a non-profit educational institute and think-tank devoted to the study of international migration, seeks to hire a full-time development officer. The position will report to the Executive Director (ED) and work closely with CMS’s Deputy Director. The development officer will be responsible for organizing CMS’s fundraising at the individual, foundation, and corporate levels, organizing donor events, and staffing its small development advisory group.
The candidate should have very strong writing and editing skills, ability to take initiative, exceptional organizational skills, and a commitment to CMS’s mission and to immigration and refugee protection issues. Responsibilities include:
- Organize the agency’s fundraising function.
- Work with the ED, Deputy ED, board, and staff on the conceptualization, development, and submission of grant proposals.
- Produce interim and final reports for funders and ensure proper and timely filing.
- Maintain and update grant documents, funding calendars, and grant tracking and reporting.
- Research, identify and contact potential new donors and cultivate existing donors.
- Establish and help maintain relationships with foundations and corporate donors.
- Maintain CMS’s fundraising database, track donor interactions, and generate reports to assist with identifying successful fundraising strategies.
- Process gifts and draft acknowledgment letters.
- Create strong fundraising messaging that appeals to current and potential sponsors.
- Design and execute CMS’s mid-year, year-end, and special campaign appeals.
- Create new ways to engage corporate donors in CMS’s work.
- Prepare materials describing sponsorship opportunities.
- Organize the planning and execution of CMS’s annual fundraising gala.
- Conduct outreach to existing and potential donors and partners around event sponsorship and ensure delivery of sponsorship benefits.
- Ensure that all legal reporting requirements are satisfied.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- BA or above.
- At least three years of related professional experience is strongly preferred, particularly in fundraising and marketing, preferably in a nonprofit context.
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Superb organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple tasks.
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work self-sufficiently.
- Knowledge of immigration policy and/or issues facing immigrant communities is strongly preferred.
The annual salary for this exempt position is $65,000 – $70,000, commensurate with experience. CMS offers excellent benefits, including a generous health insurance plan, employer-paid dental and vision coverage, and a tax-deferred annuity plan.
The position is full-time and based in New York City. However, some telecommuting will be permitted. Please submit a resume, cover letter indicating your availability, and a short writing sample to Donald Kerwin at [email protected] Please include “Resource Development Officer” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled and applications are accepted immediately.
No calls, please. Due to the volume of applications, CMS cannot return phone calls about the position, and regrettably, cannot notify all applicants of the status of their applications unless an interview is requested.